You will like
Operating within a small consultancy providing evidence-based decision support within research, development and acquisition projects, primarily to the Defence Industry.
This is a growing business across Defence Weapon research and capability delivery programmes, including support to a range of industry and MOD clients within weapons technology.
You will like
The Cost Engineer – Weapons Systems job itself which is based at HQ near near Frome, Somerset, plus MOD – Ministry of Defence site(s) in South West SW UK.
You will be responsible for cost estimating and modelling, risk, schedule and benefits. Methods are applied to a wide range of novel technology and research topics, which have recently included Augmented Reality, Additive Manufacturing, Robotics and Autonomy, Advanced Forensics and usage of Genetic Data.
There is no average day here; you will be supporting a range of projects with a mixture of teams, you could be spending the day undertaking detailed data analysis, presenting, developing models, technical reports or working closely with the client building relationships with high-ranking military and civil customers. You will contribute to the planning, management and delivery of contracts that typically range from one month to a year.
You will receive ‘on-the-job’ training, support and coaching to problem solve in a multitude of ways: understanding the scope of research technology, estimating costs of complex systems, developing analysis tools and techniques and providing advice and support to customers.
You will have
To be successful as Cost Engineer – Weapons Systems, we would expect you to have a strong engineering background with a proven track record of technical delivery within Defence and the Weapons Sector in particular. Specific qualifications are not necessary if you have the appropriate skills and experience, but we would expect the job holder to be qualified to degree level or equivalent.
Able to demonstrate relevant experience of:
- Technical delivery of analysis and/or systems engineering to support option assessment within Defence Weapons Research and/or Acquisition Programmes.
- Working with stakeholders to understand their problem and requirements.
- Expert user of MS Excel, familiarity and confidence in using spreadsheets to create basic to complex models
Experience in the following areas would be an advantage:
- Experience of collecting, collating and analysing cost data and generating incisive outputs and advice to clients.
- Ability to identify, develop and employ a range of Soft and Hard OA tools and techniques best suited to provide insightful and cutting-edge decision support in a complex project environment.
- Knowledge of project controls concepts, practices, and procedures, specifically project schedules, work breakdown structure, risk and budgets.
- Understanding of MOD policies and procedures for Cost Estimation and Modelling, and associated supporting documentation (JSP 507, JSP 655, AQUA book, Green Book).
- Portfolio, programme and project management (benefits realisation, evidence management etc).
- Experience working with DE&S.
You will get
As Cost Engineer – Weapons Systems, you will enjoy a competitive salary, likely £40K-£45K.
- 25-day holiday entitlement, Professional Institute Annual Fees
- Post probation: Generous pension scheme, health and life insurance
You can apply
To Cost Engineer – Weapons Systems by pushing the button on this job posting (recommended), or by sending CV in confidence to email@example.com